Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Done and done.

Beautiful morning for a little run. 
Half marathon was a success. As in I didn't die or quit. I'm an official finisher with a time of 2:37. Not great, but I'll take it. It was so so so so so so hot and humid. I thought I was going to pass out around mile 9.

You'll see from some pics that we decided to have fun with the race and not take time too seriously. We really did run the entire thing. No walking, but we did stop here and there to take some pics and have some fun. Isn't that what it's all about???
Official finishers. Thank God. 

Race bling.

However, I have to say the Rock 'n' Roll folks know how to host a half. It was fun and well organized. I was really surprised by the spectators. Part of the race is in a neighborhood and down residential streets. They were camped out in the front yard, lawn chairs, beer coolers and all. It was fantastic, you would have thought we were the July 4th parade coming down the street. Maybe the worst July 4th parade. Ever.



One house was passing out popsicles, another beer. We ran past and grabbed both. That beer was ICE cold and a few sips were just what I needed at mile 11.5. Coolest race viewers ever, thank you!
Hello beat red face.
You don't stop for beers along the way? You should!

The expo was pretty good too with a fun photo booth. Vendors were all the regular ones you'd expect to see.
Things I've learned from this pic, 1-I need a tan; 2-Dont stand next to skinny cousin in pics; 3-Sports tape looks dumb.
I'll tell you what wasn't fun, drinking chocolate milk post race. Apparently the milk folks are trying to push it as a great way to refuel post run/workout and they were a sponsor. So in addition to water and Gatorade, we also got chocolate milk. I tried it, no thank you. I'm not buying what you're selling. It made me want to gag.

NOT my after


Speaking of recover, it's not half bad. I didn't really have too much muscle soreness. My feet hurt, like I had been dancing all night in heels. And my knees were/are a little achy. So I really think if it weren't for the heat, I would have crushed my estimated time. We did kick off recover with a pedicure, maybe that's why I feel so good.


Oh and ALSO, for those of you that use the MapMyRun app, I'm pretty sure it's a big liar. I ran with it on Sunday and by mile 10, it said we were on 11 and running at a much faster pace. And then something happened about the real mile 11 and it got paused or canceled so I have no idea what it would have come in at in the end, but I'm 100% sure it over estimated distance and therefore speed.

So all in all, great time. Will I be doing it again? I can't say. But I will keep running and now it's time to focus back on weight loss. I might be the only person I know who gained weight during half marathon training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment