Monday, September 23, 2013

Pirates and Parting with my stuff

We had a big pirate festival this weekend a local museum was hosting. They were trying to break the world record for the most pirates in one place. Had to have more than 14,000... that's A LOT of pirates.

Mr. Mister and I partook in the festivities. My mom was volunteering so we stopped by to say hello and I love a good excuse to dress up.



I also took a bunch of clothes, shoes and jewelry I was willing to part with to our local Clothes Mentor. It is one of those consignment shops that buys your stuff on the spot and gives you cash.

Sometimes I do really well, others, not so much. I find jewelry really brings me some cash. This time I walked out with $70 $55 (I found an awesome pair of gold Ralf Lauren flats there for $15!) to put toward my BCS Half trip.

I have a bag I've also listed on eBay for the cause. It's a Michael Kors jet set tote in turquoise and I have simply loved it. Loved. BUT, I'm a bag person and could seriously become a bag/purse hoarder. So, I figured if the sale of this one would bring me some needed cash, then so be it. I also listed three Coach wristlets I had laying around.

Maybe I should do an IG #shopmycloset sale. Anyone ever done one or bought anything that way? I bought a pair of Holly's shoes once. But they were a half size too small so I just gave them away to Goodwill. My $20 purchase turned into a $20 charitable donation. I digress...

And here's the story/reason cash flow is tighter than usual and I'm hocking my goods.

It all started back in college. I was a young dumb college girl who partied too much and didn't have time to floss or go to the dentist.
Live music (Willie Nelson I might add), tan and alcohol in hand = college.
Basically, I got a massive cavity and ended up needing a root canal when I finally went to the dentist, 5 years later! I had no pain, I didn't even know I had a cavity. Five years later said root canal failed and I had to have oral surgery (twice!) to help save my tooth and expensive ass crown.

First oral surgery didn't quite do the trick, so I had to have it re-done about 2 weeks after the first one and they took a little more of the root and I was good to go. Fast forward five more years, being just a few months ago and the damn thing has failed AGAIN.

This time, tooth and crown have to come out! I cried when the dentist told me this. Seriously, cried. All that money and now it just comes out? WTF?! I'm going to be toothless! I'm only 32 freaking years old!

So what now? I have to get an implant. Or, just not have a tooth there. OMG. That is not an option. It's on the side and you can totally see it when I smile. If it were a molar, I'd consider doing without.

Do you know how expensive a freaking tooth implant is? Like my portion of the bill AFTER insurance will be $2,000!!! Thank goodness for insurance and pre-tax saving accounts, but hot damn. I've already spent about this from all the procedures, crown and oral surgery. Are you kidding me, $4,000 on a freaking tooth?! And all because I was too busy drinking vodka to floss my teeth.


Life lessons, ya'll. Life lesson.

So that's the story and a PSA for property oral hygiene. Floss people, floss!

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment