Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday

Friday has given me the big ol eff you today.

Confession - I got a ticket for running a red light about a month ago. Stupid. I wasn't even in a hurry or late for work. I just didn't want to stop and thought I could make it. And didn't realize there was a police officer sitting at the light.


I went to court today to try and get it dropped in exchange for driving school and probation  No such luck. I got to pay the fine + $60 freaking dollars in court costs + 4% processing fee for paying with a credit/debit card.

Only good thing was I showed up on time and had to park in BFE, so I got a little morning walk in on may way to and fro Courtroom B.

And let me tell ya about some of the peeps that were in court with me - oh my! It's a crying shame no cellies are allowed in the courthouse. There were some awesome outfits on display. Pimped out suits with matching Nike's for the gents and lots of animal print in pink and purples for the gals.

I thought to myself that I need to remember this place for when I eventually get to retire. I can totally see myself going to court to people watch and listen to their ridiculous stories. Is that strange? Whatever.

I sat behind a 17ish year old girl who was in court with her mom. You could tell mom was pissed and said girl was scared. It brought me back to when I was 17 and got my first (of many) speeding ticket.

I was on the way home from cross country practice and dropping a kid off that I normally didn't.  I don't even remember his name. But you bet I remember getting pulled over for going 18 mph OVER the speed limit while trying to do a good deed.

In my defense, it was in a neighborhood where the speedlimit was 25. Not like I was going 90 or anything. I came home and put that bad boy on the fridge and tired to make a joke about it to my mom. I totally try to make jokes when I'm uncomfortable.

She had to go to court with me, mandatory here in VA and I had to bring a copy of my report card. Judge was nice and gave me driving school with probation. That was the first and last time I ever got a ticket dropped by a judge.

I don't remember the court goers being as colorful as they were today, but I probably didn't pay much attention to it as I was scared shitless.

Today, I had a little more confidence. This wasn't my first rodeo. I knew you had to plead not guilty, even if you were, in order to have the discussion about possibly getting the ticket dropped.

However, as I stood there next the police officer who pulled me over, my heart started pounding. I guess authority figures still kind of freak me out.

But then, as the judge was telling me why he wasn't going to drop the ticket (speeding ticket on my record from 5 years ago - shit!) the freaking police officer snickered! He f-ing snickered! Oh I wanted to go all Kenya Moore (Real Housewives of Atlanta) on him and then twirl my way out of the courtroom.

But I didn't. I stood there, mostly in shock and told the judge, "Thank you," as I gathered my bag and headed out to pay my fine.

On a positive note, I got $37.08 from winning the DietBet game. Paid $15 so net $17.08. That about covers the 4% processing fee from today.

Got the notification as I was trying to find the courthouse.
Happy Friday and cheers to this being an awesome weekend.

That's me cheersing you with my coffee.
It's lunch time and it's my first cup. That should tell you how today has gone!






No comments:

Post a Comment