Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Daylight savings time can suck it.

The person who thought day light savings time was a good idea obviously didn't haven children.

I used to look forward to falling back and gaining an hour. Those days are over now that I have to try and readjust a toddler back an hour. I also picked this weekend to move to one nap a day instead of two with him, so that wasn't the biggest help either. He has done really well with it and napped for THREE straight hours Sunday. It was glorious.

Weekend was pretty uneventful except for my SEVEN mile run. I didn't log too many miles this week and hadn't run since Tuesday evening and was feeling really down on myself. Even thought about dropping out of the half coming up in December or just saying eff it, I'll walk it if I have to.


The training for these halfs is the hardest thing. Finding/making the time. Finding the motivation. Feeling like a failure every day I don't run. It's really hard, and I'm pretty hard on myself over it.

But then, then I decided to just go for a run and see how it went. I didn't need to be fast, I just needed to run. I had 6 miles in my head of what I needed to do, since I never accomplished it last weekend. Well 6 miles later I thought, I can do another. And there it was, 7 miles done and I felt pretty darn good. Like I could even do more.

I actually enjoyed the run, took in the beautiful fall colors and let my mind wonder. I kept thinking, "When did 5Ks become not good enough?" Why do I feel like I'm giving in/up if I register for just a 5K? When did half marathons become the distance we measure our self-worth up against?

I said it before, but I'm saying it, I think I'm more of a 5K kind of girl. It is just so much more manageable to actually train for them and do well. So after this half, I'm back to 5Ks with the occasional 8K or 10K tossed into the mix.

In other news, I crafted one night. Any by crafted I mean painted a new pair of shoes with nail polish. I'd been swooning over a pair of Walking in Memphis's shoes and finally found a similar pair that wasn't over $100. I found these bad boys at Kohl's and decided I could paint all the gold studs with black nail polish to make them a little more subtle and more me. And here's the before and after...


No comments:

Post a Comment